Sunday, December 25, 2011

The Best Christmas Movie Ever: Rare Exports


The true colors of Santa is revealed to young Pietari, played by Onni Tommila.
Photo ©Mika Orasmaa, via Rare Exports image bank.

I don't want to sound like the traitor of my nation, but besides Aki Kaurismäki films, I've never been a huge fan of Finnish movies. For some reason they just don't appeal to me. There are exceptions though, and a big one is Jalmari Helander's Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale. I went to see it on the big screen when it came out last year and was completely blown away. This R-rated piece of brilliance is now available on dvd and I'm going to make a tradition of watching it every Christmas. 


Santas are hot commodity.  Photo ©Mika Orasmaa, via Rare Exports image bank.


The cast: Ilmari Järvenpää, Rauno Juvonen, Tommi Korpela, Onni Tommila and Jorma Tommila. Photo ©Mika Orasmaa, via Rare Exports image bank.


I really don't know how to describe this movie to you non-Finnish people who haven't seen it... Therefore I encourage you to go and read this really good review of the movie by the prestigious film critic Roger Ebert. He rated Rare Exports three and half stars!




Happy Holidays!

x
Salla

No comments:

Post a Comment